I feel like this is the first week in a long time that we've been staying home. My Mom visited for almost two weeks during March. It was so wonderful to have her here. My Dad also came for 4 days. Grandpa's make great baby sitters! While my mom was here it seemed like there was always somewhere to go. We were either gone during the morning or the afternoon or sometimes both! I probably should have taken advantage of her being here and slept while she watched the boys but I didn't. I enjoyed her company too much to want to nap. Last week I had to run errands almost every day. So this week I've decided to stay home as much as possible! It's nice to just be home. Luke and I have been going outside in the afternoons and playing with bubbles. I love bubbles. It's so relaxing to blow bubbles and watch them float away, especially when there's a breeze. It's fun to watch them travel with the wind.
Luke is getting so much better at walking. He can pretty much walk all throughout the house without any help. He has a lot of fun pushing his little tractor and plane around. He's really good at turning corners and adjusting the toy to go around furniture or other toys. He still runs into things and gets frustrated (a.k.a. screams--which we're trying to teach him is not okay) when he can't move the push toys past things, such as the little piece of wood at the bottom of the doorway to the kitchen. He's learning fast that he needs to push harder at that doorway. He's also talking more. He copied me when I said "cheese" and "shoe" I think he likes the "sh"sound.
Harrison will be two months on Friday! We moved him out of our bedroom a week ago. It has been lovely! No one was sleeping well while he was in there. We're all getting more, and better, sleep. I realize how important sleep is, not only for me but my family. If Luke doesn't sleep, he's cranky and I get annoyed with him, if I don't sleep I get really cranky, if Jason doesn't get sleep, not only would he be cranky but he wouldn't be able to do as well at work (not good) and it's important for Harrison to get good sleep so he can grow well. The night I moved him out I also started letting him cry himself to sleep. He needs to learn how to fall asleep on his own. I'd start by putting him down as soon as I saw that he was tired, either yawning or getting fussy, and still awake. I'd let him cry for 10 minutes, then I'd go in, hold him for about a minute and calm him down. Then I'd put him back down. If he cried again, which he did, I'd wait 15 minutes before I went in. Most of the time he was asleep by the end of that 15 minutes but if not, I'd do the same and after I put him down he'd cry for 2-3 minutes and then fall asleep. Each night or two I'd add 5 minutes to the initial cry time when I would first put him down. We're now at 20 minutes. I am letting Harrison learn to fall asleep on his own much earlier than I did with Luke. I know it's so important for him to learn to go to sleep on his own. I don't like hearing him cry but I'm learning to ignore it. I know I'm helping him. He's always been fed and has a clean diaper before I put him down. I also know that he's crying because he just wants to be held....because as soon as I go in and hold him he calms down. I know we're making progress because during the day he'll go down for naps without crying at all!! Hooray for Harrison! He takes 3-4 naps a day and at night he'll sleep an average of 6 hours before he wakes up to eat.
Jason only has 4 weeks left until graduation!! Right now he's preparing for his "final". Which, I think he briefs for on Friday or early next week. Then he just has some flights to do and he'll be done!!
I've been reading a lot more. I really enjoy it. I read while I nurse Harrison. I think I like reading better than watching movies. I'm not sure why, though. Maybe it's because there's more detail? I'm also working on being a better homemaker. I have really been slacking on things like laundry and dishes -- you may be thinking "of course, you recently had a baby" ... Sadly, I was slacking way before Harrison was born. Speaking of which, I should probably be doing some house work right now instead of blogging, but I haven't posted anything in a month.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
Love your new blog notes! Hurray for you and getting the timing thing down for them to learn to go to sleep. My boss Chris and his wife are just NOW trying it on their kids, 2 and 4! Liked the strollers! And what a shiner! Good thing you took pictures! You can show Luke those when he plays high school sports!!! Of course my favorite pics were of me and the Grand-Froggies!!!!! xoxoxoxo Mom
Post a Comment