Monday, July 2, 2007

High chair ...

The Horrible, Frightening, Appalling, Disgusting, Repulsive and Sickening high chair.

I bought a high chair a few weeks ago off of CraigsList.com. The woman selling it agreed to meet me at a store and we would exchange the high chair for my payment of $40.00. I admit that I made a mistake and should have checked over the high chair BEFORE I gave her the money and drove away. I have learned a good lesson.

I brought the high chair home. Proud that I found a decent high chair with some cool features, such as a reclining seat and adjustable height positions, for way less than if I bought it brand new at the store. I saw a few pieces of food or whatever on the back of the tray. I was a little upset but figured she probably didn't have time to clean it before giving it to me. No big deal, I could clean that in no time.

I took off the fabric seat cover to wash it, who cares if the lady had washed it, I was going to wash it anyway. So, I took off the cloth cover. I can't believe what I saw underneath. I wished I had bought a brand new one from the store! There was crumbs and gunk and even hair in the corner and cracks of the vinyl cover.

This picture doesn't do it justice....it was ickier.

But it gets worse. Dun Dun Duuuuuuun. I started to take off the vinyl cover to wash it. I thought I was shocked when I saw the TOP of it ...

I couldn't believe someone could LIVE LIKE THIS! This is so sick. I dreaded cleaning it. I didn't even want to come near it with rubber gloves on. I was so mad. I wanted to e-mail the seller and tell her how disgusting and gross it was and why couldn't she clean it before she sold it. Eeeeeew. I never wrote to her.

I showed everything to Jason when he came home. He suggested we use his pressure washer to clean it. YES! I hadn't thought of that. We'll blast the crap away. So we put it on the driveway, Jason showed me how to use the pressure washer and I blew the crud to smithereens! Jason finished up for me, he used a stronger nozel to blow away some of the really stuck on stuff. We finished up and let it dry.

A few days later I brought it back into the kitchen to clean it off with soap and water. There was a stain at the bottom of the seat that I thought wouldn't come off since the pressure washer didn't get it off. Hooray for brillo pads! It took the stain right off. After thoroughly washing, using clorox wipes and making sure EVERY inch of the high chair was clean, I was finished!

Sparkling clean!




Well, it's all clean and I keep it that way! Luke likes his high chair. He likes to chew on the part where his left hand is. It's funny but gross because he'll have just taken a bite of oatmeal and it gets all over the side.

4 comments:

Ron said...

Well, after you got it cleaned up that is a nice high chair. We'll give the lady the benefit of the doubt and assume that she didn't know all of that stuff was under the seat cushion. Dad

Mika said...

Wow, I'm very impressed with your cleaning job. I would have been too afraid to bother with it for a few weeks after buying it. Looks very nice now, though!!

Bethany said...

I would have dreaded cleaning it a whole lot more if Jason hadn't suggested using his pressure washer. Just the sight of the crud gave me the heebie-geebies! With my tendency to be pretty, um, lazy I would have waited to clean it to. However I was getting tired of propping Luke's baby bouncer seat up against the coffee table.

Gma. Devon said...

1) That was wayyyyyyyy grosser than I had imagined!
2) Great use of the phrase "...blast the crap away..."!!! Wish I had more opportunities to use that phrase.
3) On second, thought, NO, I DON'T!
4) Great washing job! I'm proud of you! what a wonderful Mommy you are!
5) Dad likes to chew on the arm of the big rocker right after he eats anything to. And ONLY on the left side.....wierd!!!! HAHAHAHA.