Friday, June 5, 2009

Local Church History

We have a few church history sites in our city and in states nearby. Winter Quarters used to be here but has been gone since sometime in the late 1800's, if I remember correctly. Winter Quarters is where pioneers would sometimes stay during the winter on their treks to Utah. (as a side note, I recently finished reading Fire Of The Covenant by Gerlad M. Lund about the Martin and Willie handcart companies....oh, such an amazing story. You should read it!) 

A few saturdays ago Jason and I decided to look at some of these places. The first place we went was Hyde Park, named for Orson Hyde. I thought it was going to be, well, a park. So I packed snacks and drinks and things. We drove out into the country and found a stone plaque about Hyde Park and a wooden "Mormon Trail" sign that looks like it's been there since the pioneers came through. It was all right next to some familys farm house. We wondered if they were members. 





Of course, the boys enjoyed the gravel road more than anything else!

We also went to the Kanesville Tabernacle. This is where Brigham Young was sustained as prophet and president of the Church. We would have stayed longer but the boys were getting tired and cranky.


1 comment:

Karen and Joe said...

that's cool that you have some church history sites to visit! looks like a fun day!